KIMCHI RECIPE

1:50:00 pm


This post is already drowned in my draft folder for such a long time. I've even finished my two jars of kimchi. I was into Korean food at that time. Since it's quite pricey to eat outside and there wasn't any Korean cuisine in my town, I decided to make some at home so I can have it with anything whenever I want it. Even if it's just white rice.


It was just the right timing when my mom bought a napa cabbage and she didn't use it. So, I'll just have to scavenge any useable ingredients in the fridge/kitchen to get readeah!

This is the original recipe by the kitchn:
1 medium head napa cabbage
1/4 cup sea salt/kosher salt
Water
1 tbsp grated garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sugar
2 - 3 tbsp seafood flavour/water
1 - 5 tbsp Korean red pepper flakes
8 ounces Korean radish/daikon
4 scallions

Again, I have adapted the recipe for this is an unplanned cooking. In other words, I do not have certain ingredients. This also gave me an idea to #recipetweak !


What I did first was to clean my 1 medium head napa cabbage before slicing them into 2-inch-wide strips.


Then, I transferred the strips of cabbage into a bigger bowl (preferably not plastic or metal one) to make it easier to do the salting. If you look clearly into the photo, you can see the 1/4 cup of salt. You'll have to keep massaging the cabbage until they soften before adding in water until all the cabbage is all covered. After that, you'll have to get a plate or something flat and something heavy to compress the cabbage into the water for 1 - 2 hours. I left it for 2 hours. Maybe this is why it gets so crunchy at the end.

***** after 2 hours *****

You'll have to rinse those cabbage for three times and leave it in a colander for 15 - 20 minutes to strain out the water.


While waiting for the 20 minutes to pass by, you can mix the 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic, 1 tsp pf finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp sugar and 3 tbsp water (I do not have seafood flavour) to make the smooth paste before adding in red pepper flakes.


 Instead of using Korean red pepper flakes, I substituted it with Domino's red pepper flakes. I used around 3 tbsp of those red pepper flakes and I could taste the spiciness. You can actually add up to 5 tbsp.

Seasoning paste


Then, go back to your cabbage and squeeze it to make sure that there is no excess water in it. After that, you may mix all the ingredients - cabbage, 8 ounces of carrot (to substitute radish/daikon), 2 scallions and the seasoning paste thoroughly.


Finally, you can have those kimchi evenly coated with spices packed into jars. Make sure that you leave at least 1 inch of headspace before you close the lids. You should leave the jars at room temperature for 1 - 5 days before putting it in the fridge. During the 5 days period, do check the kimchi daily to make sure that the kimchi is soaked in the brine and to let go some fermentation gases.

I actually tested the kimchi every day. When you have it right away, it's crunchier and juicier compared to five days later. In my opinion, the tastiest would be on its third day at room temperature. I regretted why didn't I put one of the jars into the fridge at that time. It had become too sour for kimchi on the fifth day.

When life gives you soour kimchi, make kimchi fried rice!

How would you like kimchi with? Share with me!

Weights & Dresses,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@nicole_wongtzemei

@zyinwty